Are you finding getting organised difficult? Why not try my Thorough Thirteen?
When people hear the number thirteen they tend to think of superstitions, bad luck or avoid it altogether. I’m about to tell you how the number thirteen could help you!
My Thorough Thirteen is HJC Office Solutions thirteen tips to help you avoid the pitfalls of poor organisation in your home office.
Now we’ve all fallen into the trap of having that messy desk and promising to get round to filing that paperwork, however it stayed there for several weeks.
The rules of organisation are simple! It’s amazing what can happen if we don’t take the time to stick to them or take time out once a week to ensure we are organised and planned for the week ahead.
I’ve just helped one of my clients set up their own home office and want to share the golden rules of how to keep it organised.
1. Have an appointment diary
2. Have a To-do list to ensure you can prioritise and plan your weekly tasks
3. Ensure you adhere to your opening and closing times
4. Do not take personal calls and ensure you aren’t interrupted when working
5. Set aside a filing schedule once or twice a week to file paperwork
6. Operate a tray system in, out or another method you prefer
7. Schedule conference calls and note follow up actions
8. Operate a tidy desk policy at the end of the working day
9. Get rid of all personal items from your desk, put on a shelf enabling you to have clear working space.
10.Schedule regular breaks, lunch and time off throughout the week
11.Set up client files either online or paper-based (whatever your preference. (Dropbox is a fantastic online storage facility)
12.Stick to deadlines and targets for meetings. People tend to stick to issues when on a deadline.
13.Invest in time tracking software or keep a diary of client time. This will help you tell your clients exactly how much time you are owed and make it easier for invoicing.
I hope My Thorough Thirteen has been of some help to you.